This project quickly became a family favourite! What's better than creating your own toy and designing it? Well, this also squishes and is scented!
This craft DIY is just as fun as baking but you get to keep this gingerbread man forever! This craft also recycles! We use sponge to create fun toys. The kids love this and so do adults! A perfect craft session for the family and gets you in the festive spirit too. How will you design your gingerbread man? Maybe you'll make a different squishy all together? (If you do, make sure you show us, we'd love to share it. Tag us on instagram @terrarium&crafts or message us on facebook/instagram) If you don't know what a squishy is, you'll find this useful.
With this craft, you can't use acrylic paint on it's own, as it will crack. It doesn't have the same flexibility that fabric paint or puffy paint has. Puffy paint especially in the UK, is pretty expensive! That's why I show you how to make your own puffy paint in this tutorial, saving you a lot of money! Let's get started!
What you need:
- Sponge. You can use a washing up sponge, a car sponge, old cushion/mattress sponge. Memory foam works best.
- Acrylic paint. I used brown.
- PVA glue.
- Shaving foam.
- Scissors, marker, ice lolly stick, and a pot to mix your paint.
- Cookie cutter. We used this for the outline, but you can draw it from memory, or use a printed template.
- Decorative heart buttons.
- Dotting tool. You can use a toothpick.
- Puffy paint for finer details. You can use the puffy paint mixture with acrylic paint that I show in the tutorial, save your money!
Watch the tutorial:
Photos of the finished piece: